January is summer time in Sydney, so it is likely to be warm and humid. Holiday-Weather.com can fill you in on the long term averages and the Bureau of Meteorology is the best source for an up to the minute forecast.
Where’s the nearest?
Doctor : To be confirmed
Pharmacy : Day and Night Chemist @ Newtown. 90-92 King Street. Open 9am-9pm daily except Sunday 10am-9pm.
Supermarket : IGA 259 King St Newtown
Bottle Shop : The Alfred Hotel – left out the front gate and just across the road in Missenden. Or Camperdown Cellars 141 Parramatta Rd – right out the front gate and left at the lights.
Swimming and Fitness
- Sydney University Sports and Aquatic Centre has extensive indoor facilities and is just x mins walk from the conference venue.
- Cook+Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre is further afield, in the CBD.
- Manly : Catch the ferry from Circular Quay. Swim in the harbour adjacent to the ferry or walk along the Corso to the ocean.
- Coogee ocean beach and Wylie’s Ladies Baths : Bus route 370 goes along King Street at the top of Missenden Road to Coogee – could take more than half an hour. Buses that go through or start in the city – Red M50 bus goes along Elizabeth Street then Cleveland Street, Buses 373 or 374. Bus 314 from Bondi Junction Station.
- Bronte : Bus from town or Bondi Junction
- Bondi : Bus from town or Bondi Junction (Bondi Beach Info)
- Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool : On Mrs Macquarie Rd, down the road from the Art Gallery of NSW. Outdoor above ground. Café. Classy. Ph 9358 6686
- Greenwich Baths : Bus to Circular Quay, F3 ferry to Greenwich, short walk to the Baths. Café.
Newtown has plenty on offer. If you are feeling spontaneous, you can head out the front gate and just go wandering. Turn left and check out the eateries along Missenden Rd, or follow Missenden further down to King Street (about 10 mins walk) where you’ll have a plethora of choice.
- Phoning Sydney landlines from overseas : Country code 61, Area code 2.
- Phoning Sydney from outside Sydney, the prefix is 02.